Tuesday, May 11, 2010

20,000 New Pets

So we're keeping bees in the city.  On our second floor sleeping porch.  Yes, I think we may be crazy.

Karl's dad, Bill, has been a beekeeper for as long as Karl can remember and this was something that Karl and I had been thinking about doing for a couple of years.  Karl took a class through the Maryland Beekeepers Association earlier this year to get a feel for what he needed to do.  Bill then generously gave us one of his hives and spent a week with us rebuilding our porch so that it would be structurally stable for this whole endeavor. 

We've had our bees for ten days and so far so good, I guess.  When the weather is decent, there are a couple dozen bees flying around the opening to the hive at any given time.  I can live with that.  I did get a bit freaked out yesterday when I went outside and there was a LOUD buzzing sound.  I looked up to see a couple hundred (at least) bees swarming around the hive opening and then landing on the wall of the house.  A patch of wall at least 18 inches square was thickly covered with bees.

Fearing our poor bees were beginning to swarm, I had Karl come home and survey the situation.  He called the guy we got our bees from, a very experienced Maryland beekeeper, and he talked us off the ledge.  It seems that a bunch of baby bees may have been taking advantage of the beautiful weather and decided to test their wings all at the same time. Within a few minutes, we were back into the normal routine of our few bees buzzing quietly above our heads.  Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment